Back Wood/Backpacking Pizza
We used a 8" fry bake for this pizza in the back woods.
To make the dough, you will need:
- 3C bread flour
- 2t salt
- 1t active dried yeast
- 1C warm water
- 1t sugar
- 1T oil
- heavy Ziploc bag
It is best to start the dough the night before or at breakfast the day you plan to bake the pizza.
- In the Ziploc bag, combine flour and salt.
- In a camp cup, combine yeast, sugar, and warm water.
- Allow yeast mixture to become active and proof for 10-15 minutes camp cup until frothy.
- Once the yeast is active, combine the yeast mixture with the flour in the Ziploc bag.
- Add oil to the Ziploc bag.
- Add water as needed in Ziploc bag to form a dough that cleans the sides of the container, sticking to itself instead of the walls of the bottle.
- Close the Ziploc bag.
- Allow dough to rise until at least double in size.
- After the dough rises, punch down the dough and divide into 3-4 lumps, depending on the size of your pan.
- Allow the dough to relax in the container before shaping your pizza.
- Lightly oil your pan.
- Add the dough.
- Press to the edges.
To make the sauce, you will need:
- dried tomato powder or paste in tube, based on desired texture
- sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water and minced to taste
- 1/2t oregano
- pinch chili powder or flaked
- 1t of sugar
- 1t granulated garlic
- 1/2T olive oil
*Adjust measurements based on how many pizzas you plan to make.
- Soak and drain tomatoes.
- Combine all ingredients in a camp cup, adding small amounts of water until you have a the desired consistency for pizza sauce.
To make the pizza, you will need:
- toppings, like pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, and onions. (Go wild, but no pineapple. One shall never put pineapple on thou pizza.)
- cutting board
- small fry bake
- olive oil
- camp stove
- large rock log to balance fry bake
- Flour the cutting board.
- Roll out the dough.
- Lightly oil the pan.
- Push dough into pan.
- Coat dough with sauce.
- Cover with toppings.
- Bake to golden, yummy goodness.